How can I create an email forwarder?
Now that you know the difference between a regular email account and an email forwarder, here's how to set up an email forwarder.
- Log into cPanel
- Click the Forwarders icon in the Mail section
- Click Add Forwarder.
- In the Address to Forward text box, enter the address for which you wish to forward incoming email and select the desired domain from the menu.
- Select one of the following options:
- Forward to email address — Select this option to forward incoming email to another address. Enter the address to which you wish to forward email in the text box.
- Discard and send an error to the sender (at SMTP time) — Select this option to discard incoming email and automatically send a failure notice to the sender. Enter the desired failure message in the Failure Message text box.
- Click Advanced Options to view the following additional options:
Notes- This text box accepts the username of any user on the server.- System accounts do not have a public-facing email address.
- Forward to a system account — Select this option to forward incoming email to a system user. Enter the desired username in the text box.
Important: We do not recommend this option because the sender will not know that the delivery failed.
- Pipe to a program — To automatically forward incoming email to a program, enter a path to the program, relative to the account's home directory (for example,
utilities/support.pl) in the text box. For more information, read the Pipe to a Program cPanel documentation.
- Discard (Not Recommended) — Select this option to discard incoming email without a failure notice.
Now, when you go back to the Forwarders section, you will see a list of the existing forwarders.
Important: do not create an email account (Add/Remove Accounts link) when using the Forwarder option.
- Log into Plesk
- Go to Mail > email address > Forwarding tab.
- Select the Switch on mail forwarding checkbox.
- Specify one or several email addresses to which email must be forwarded. When specifying email addresses, separate them with white spaces, commas, semicolons, or type each of them on a new line.
- Click OK.
- If you do not want to keep copies of forwarded messages in the mailbox, go to Mail > email address, clear the Mailbox checkbox, and click OK.
Having trouble? Contact us and our team will be happy to help.